Tuesday 11 December 2012

Sandwiches All The Way

During the entire five years of our marriage to date, when I was working rotating shifts at an auto plant six days per week, I used to bring my lunch every day instead of buying it.  My husband, on the other hand, bought his lunch at restaurant every day.  Even though some days the only thing he purchased was coffee, other days he went out for entire meals complete with pitchers of draught beer. 
Now that I am out of work, in order to save money, I am going to make his lunch and send it along with him to work.  Over the course of the year, I propose to document the cost of the food items that I will prepare at home and send with him.  Then, thanks to the magic of modern-day online banking, I will go back to the corresponding month in last year's debit records and total his lunchtime expenditures. 
My theory is that once I deduct the cost of his home-prepared lunches from the total of last year's purchased lunches, I should be left with a means of tracking our family's savings over the course of a year.  I plan to post a running tally of the actual dollar amount, updated on a weekly basis, of money that our family has withheld from fast food corporations.  In other words, instead of the money funneling upwards to the capitalist powers that be, it will funnel downwards into my family's coffers.

No comments:

Post a Comment